Wednesday, January 12, 2011



Greetings from Hoosier Nation.

The photograph above is the farmstead of Henry Rose in Brown County, Indiana. He was my great-great grandfather. The gentlemen in the automobile are unidentified. A small sign on the siderunner of the car reads: International Harvester Company. The standard who, what, and why are as unknown as the men. [click on the photo to enlarge]

The when is about 1904. A more precise explanation of the where is Kelly Hill about four miles south of Nashville, Indiana, along what is now State Road 46 on the way to Bloomington. This is about one mile south of the West Gate to Brown County State Park.

The house and other buildings are gone and the property now belongs to others.

Henry Rose bought this property, eighty acres "more or less," for $30 from John C. and Sarah Bennington on December 21, 1885, in "the West half of the South West quarter of Section Thirty five (35) Township Nine (9) Range two (2) east."

He and his family sold the property April 12, 1923, to Frank Gentry for $1400, subject to "a certain School Fund mortgage of $400."


[Thanks to my cousin, Sandy Seitz Cain, Brown County Recorder, who confirmed some of the information above after I couldn't read my own handwriting following a visit to her office. The record of purchase is in Deed Record 11, p. 309.]

2 comments:

  1. Okay, Michael--we're turning into blog slackers (my last post was in April...*sigh*...)

    Let's make a pact. At LEAST one post per month. I'll nag you if you'll nag me?????? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm officially calling you out--updated mine this evening and intend to do so at least once a month. I TRIPLE DOG dare ya to do the same. :)

    ReplyDelete